Saturday, 3 December 2016

Getting Back Into Reading

Hello!
I've always been an avid reader. Since I first learnt to read I've had a book in my hand. From a young age, my parents encouraged me to read by bringing me to toddler library groups and reading to me every night as a small child. This installed a passion and love for reading within me.

In the last year I have noticed I have not been reading as much at all. Be it my hectic school life or the dreaded distraction of my phone - I simply do not read as much as I used to.

At first I told myself I was too busy to read but quite frankly, that is BS.

You can never be too busy to pick up a book. Surely there are, at the very least, 10 minutes in the day when you could pick up a book and read.
If you find it hard to get the motivation to read, here is my Top 10 Tips For Getting Back Into Reading.

1) Find a genre you like

As we age we grow and our preferences change. It is natural to not enjoy certain genres as much as you once did. Can you imagine if your favourite colour never changed from your birth to death.
Search around for the perfect genre for you and don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone.

2) Find one book you like and use it to find recommendations 

By finding a book you really enjoy, you can use it to find similar books that you would also love. A great way to find similar books is by reading reviews and asking like-minded people who have also read the book. This way, one book leads to another, and another, and another!

3) Make time in your day to read

For me trying to get back into reading, it was important to set aside time in my day for reading. Ipersonally, love to read before I go to sleep as it calms me down and the no-screen time helps me switch off. Other people read in the morning or on the bus. Try different times and see which works best for you.

4) Carry A Book Around With You Everywhere

You never know when an opportunity to read will present itself. Whether that's when you're babysitting and have a few hours to kill or have an hours wait before your bus arrives. You never know when you could be grateful for a book's presence in your bag.

5) Know when to give up on a book

As a reader, it is important to be able to recognise a lost cause. Just because you're deciding to put a book down doesn't mean you're admitting defeat - it just means you need to focus your searches elsewhere. If you allow yourself to be bogged down that you don't enjoy, you can loose the will to read because you're taking the joy out of books.

6) Keep a list of all the books you read

For me, nothing is more motivating than keeping a record of my own progress. I love to look back on what I've done as it pushes me to achieve more.
By making a list of books you have read, you can look back on your little achievements and give yourself a sense of accomplishment.

7) Talk to people who have read the same books as you.

By discussing the books you have read with people who have read the book you feel as though you are part of a little community. There, you can discuss your views on the book and everyone can give recommendations. You are also introduced to new ideas that you might not have otherwise thought off.

8) Make your reading experience fun

You may have the perfect book but without the following components  your reading experience still has room for improvement.  For me, I love to make a little reading nook. I deck out a corner of my room with cushions and blankets. I treat myself to a cup of tea or a hot chocolate and sit back and relax. I would recommend a quiet space for optimum reading.

There you have it!
These are my tips for getting back into reading. I hope you successfully become addicted to reading. 
All the best,
Clare 

No comments:

Post a Comment